Warm yourself from the inside out with a warm bowl of Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup. Tender chicken, an abundance of vegetables and zesty enchilada sauce come together in this flavorful soup!
Whether it's Chicken Fajita Soup or Creamy Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup, I'd eat soup all year round. Actually, I do!
In this instance, tender chicken breasts simmer in a flavorful broth infused with enchilada sauce.
You’ll love this rich and hearty tortilla soup recipe!
Why I love Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
It’s a crowd pleaser - not only is this tortilla soup healthy because of the vegetables, lean protein and fiber, but our entire family loves it because it can be customized with toppings!
Easy to make - if you can open packages and add ingredients, you’ll be sitting pretty here! It’s what I like to call a crockpot dump recipe!
It reheats well - this chicken tortilla soup tastes even better the next day, making it a perfect meal prep option. I'll cover how to freeze soup for later, too!
Ingredients in chicken tortilla soup
- chicken breast
- minced garlic - I like to use the jarred and pre-minced variety though you can sure use fresh!
- cayenne pepper - for just a hint of heat that tickles the back of your throat. If you have picky eaters, like your kids or your spouse (ha!) you can omit this if you'd like.
- low sodium chicken broth or stock - use store bought or you can make your own chicken bone broth
- vegetables - we're using yellow onion, diced tomatoes and frozen corn to keep this recipe easy peasy.
- diced green chilies - these are mild and oh so flavorful.
- enchilada sauce - such an easy, flavorful ingredient! In general I use store bought, but I've also made this homemade enchilada sauce before.
- black beans - these add texture, color, and nutrition. Plus, they’ll help keep your belly full because they're full of fiber.
- toppings - okay, these are probably my favorite part of this tortilla soup. Ready for options? These are just a few but the sky's the limit!
- sliced avocado, sour cream, fresh lime wedge (if you can swing it you can't beat the taste of lime juice squeezed from a fresh lime), tortilla strips (you can buy packaged at the store or make homemade tortilla strips), crushed tortilla chips, thinly sliced radish, green onion tops and of course, cheese!
Note: To make this slow cooker chicken soup gluten free, be sure to use gluten free tortilla strips or chips and check your chicken broth label.
Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup Variations
- To crank up the heat, you can use enchilada sauce and green chile of any heat level your family likes! You can also slice a jalapeno in half and pressure cook it with the broth.
- Substitute fire roasted tomatoes to amp up the flavor
- Make your own easy bone broth by following this recipe or this version of Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Use rotisserie chicken and add it towards the end. Let it warm for 20-30 minutes in the broth
How long does healthy chicken tortilla soup last in the fridge?
This slow cooker chicken tortilla soup keeps for 3-4 days in the fridge.
How to freeze Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup freezes really well! Add individual portions to quart size freezer bags. Remove all air, label and freeze flat.
To reheat, cut away bag with kitchen shears, cook on stovetop in a medium pot on low heat, covered.
Other healthy slow cooker soups
Leave a comment and rating below after you make this crock pot easy chicken tortilla soup!
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup (Slow Cooker Recipe)
Warm yourself from the inside out with a warm bowl of Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock (reduced sodium)
- 2 cups water
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 ounce can mild diced green chiles
- 10 ounce can mild red enchilada sauce
- 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces frozen corn
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces Tortilla strips, or crushed tortilla chips (check your brand for gluten free)
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Sliced avocado
- Sour cream
- Fresh lime wedges
- Thinly sliced radish
- Green onion tops
- Add chicken breast, chicken stock, water, and all remaining ingredients up to and including the black beans to a slow cooker.
- Slow cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. Add chopped cilantro and crushed tortilla chips just before serving.
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts can be substituted for the chicken tenders if you prefer.
Nutrition calculated without toppings
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 1199mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 9gSugar: 8gProtein: 28g
Leave a Reply