These heart-shaped rice Krispie treats are a fun and delicious way to celebrate Valentine’s Day or any other occasion you’d like to show some appreciation towards loved ones. Best of all, they’re ready in less than a half hour.
I’m always busy (who's not??), but I always want to cook something special on a holiday. Even on “smaller” holidays days like St. Patrick’s or Valentine’s, I get the urge to make an unforgettable or unique dessert.
Still, I need to be realistic and be able to fit it into my schedule, so complex cakes and pastries are out. I'll leave those to the people who enjoy making those and have the time to do so.
These heart-shaped rice krispie treats absolutely do the trick every time I want to prep fun treats for Valentine’s Day…or for someone who just loves pink and red.
They’re no-fuss, no-drama little desserts that I can literally throw together before a school day, and they’re adorable, too.
Next time you want to bring sweets to the sweetest people in your life, try this recipe!
Why I Love These Heart Shaped Rice Krispie Treats
There’s a lot to adore about this recipe! For example, these easy treats are…
Fast and uncomplicated – These Valentine's day rice Krispie treats only require about a half hour out of your day and use ingredients you probably know very well.
Adorable – On a day like Valentine’s Day, you could just go out and buy chocolates for your favorite people…or you could make these dessert snacks, which are cuter and feel so much more special!
Family-friendly – I’ve never met a kid (or an adult) that didn’t love rice Krispie treats!
Valentine Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
You likely already have everything you’ll need for this recipe in the pantry. If you don’t, it’s a fast trip to the grocery store because we’re not using anything unusual!
- Unsalted butter – you’ll need half of a stick or about ¼th of a cup.
- Vanilla extract – an important ingredient! Don’t skip this. In almost every sweet treat, baked or not, the vanilla extract helps balance out all the flavors involved.
- Rice Krispie cereal – use whatever brand of crispy cereal is available to you.
- Marshmallows – one bag, or 40 regular-sized marshmallows, for an ooey-gooey set of rice Krispie treats! An equal amount of mini marshmallows may also be used.
- Store-bought frosting – one container for drizzling on or covering the treats. Store-bought frosting melts more easily and quicker than the homemade type but will still harden after you’re done using it.
- Food coloring – pink and red or any other Valentine’s Day colors you adore.
- Sprinkles – any of your favorites, though it’s the most fun to pick something festive and Valentine’s-themed!
How To Make Valentine Rice Krispie Treats
This easy dessert snack is ready in less than half an hour and doesn’t require fancy instructions!
Step 1: Make your marshmallow mixture. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter. Add your marshmallows and cook them over medium-low heat until they’re completely melted. Stir often!
Next, stir in the vanilla extract as well. Then add the marshmallow mixture to the cereal and combine it all.
Step 2: Let your rice Krispie treats set. Spread the marshmallow mixture evenly into a 10x15 baking sheet. Let it set for about 5 minutes.
When the mixture has hardened but is still easy to cut, use heart-shaped cookie cutters to make your heart-shaped rice Krispie treats.
Step 3: Frost your treats. Divide half of your frosting into separate bowls and melt it in the microwave. Stir it until it’s smooth!
Color half the frosting red and half of it pink. Then you can drizzle frosting onto the treats with a squeeze bottle or dip the hearts into the bowls to coat the edge/front!
When that’s all finished, be sure to add festive sprinkles.
Place the rice krispie hearts on a lollipop stick. To make sure they hold you can check out this video from Wilton.
These treats can also be made in the microwave. To do so, melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add the marshmallows and continue to cook in 30-second increments, stirring in between each time burst.
Heart Shaped Rice Krispie Treats Recipe FAQs
How many rice Krispie treats does this recipe make?
Depending on the size of the cookie cutter you use, it’ll make somewhere between 18-20 treats.
How long does it take to make heart-shaped rice Krispie treats?
This recipe takes about 20 minutes. 5 of that is melting the butter and marshmallows, and 15 of that is actually putting the treats together.
How should I store leftovers?
Keep leftovers in an airtight container so they don't dry out.
Other Dessert Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Shortbread Sprinkle Cookies
- Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Healthy Oatmeal Bites
- Fruity Pebbles Treats
- White Chocolate Pretzel Bites
If you make these fun treats, leave a recipe rating or comment below. I'd love to hear from you!
Heart Shaped Rice Krispie Treats
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (about 40 regular size) marshmallows
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 1 container (14 oz) store bought white frosting
- Pink food coloring
- Red food coloring
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Add marshmallows and cook over medium-low heat until the marshmallow butter mixture completely melted, stirring often.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add marshmallow mixture to cereal and stir until combined well.
- Spread evenly into a 10x15 rimmed baking sheet or rimmed cookie sheet.
- Let set at room temperature about 5 minutes. You want the mixture to be set but easy to cut.
- Cut with heart-shaped cookie cutters, and place on baking sheet.
- To decorate: Divide about half of the frosting into separate bowls.
- Melt in microwave for 15 seconds, stir until smooth.
- Color with food coloring.
- Transfer frosting to a squeeze bottle or piping bag, or dip hearts into bowls to coat the edges or fronts.
- Drizzle with frosting and immediately add sprinkles.
- When spreading the rice krispie treats in the pan, you can use you a buttered spatula or a spatula sprayed with a little nonstick cooking spray.
- Frosting: using store bought frosting is best for this recipe because it melts easily, making it easy to drizzle but then it hardens.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 42Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 49mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
We are making these on repeat until the big day!
Yes, please do!