If you’re looking for a light and refreshing summer side dish, I’d like to introduce you to hot weather’s best friend – marinated cucumbers and onions.
How to Make Marinated Cucumbers
My grandma used to make these cucumbers marinated in vinegar and they’re a summer staple around here. The cool and crisp cucumber are the perfect match for white onion.
Why white onion? I’m so glad you asked!
White onion is a little more pungent than, say, a yellow onion. But it works in this recipe because they hold up to the strong acidity of the vinegar.
I’m pretty sure they’ve graced our red and white checkered tablecloth and picnic table at a family reunion more than once.
It’s a healthy, refreshing side dish that pairs well with anything you throw on the grill all summer long.
Change things up and add some tomatoes if you’d like!
Cucumber Salad Tips
Even though I love the white onions in here, and I love this recipe with only a few ingredients, I have some ideas to change things up a bit!
- Add grape, cherry or sliced tomatoes to the mix and allow to marinade
- Everything is betta’ with feta! Add some crumbled feta cheese. Yum!
- Black or kalamata olives add a nice brininess and color contrast
- Switch up your onion and use red or purple onion. Heck, if you have a yellow onion you can use that, too!
- Add some fresh herbs like flat leaf parsley or mint.
These will keep in the fridge, covered for a few days. Any longer than that and they’re not going to be the crisp salad you crave.
Basically, my suggestion is to eat them and eat them often! Easy enough, right??
Other Summer Side Dishes
- 6 cucumbers, sliced thin
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Trim the ends of cucumbers. Peel all or a portion of cucumber skin, then thinly slice and put into a medium size bowl.
- Add the sliced onion.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Pour marinade over cucumbers and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 58Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gSodium 7mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 2g
Shared on Meal Plan Monday