Instant Pot frozen ground beef is every busy person’s solution! Ready in under 20 minutes, it’s no biggie if you forgot to thaw your meat for dinner!
For all of us busy people, we need this Instant Pot hack! We can use our Instant Pot to quickly cook frozen meat.
No more setting ground beef on the counter to thaw, no more scrambling at meal time because you don’t have thawed ground beef.
How to Cook Frozen Ground Beef in Your Instant Pot
My method to quickly thaw and cook ground beef is super easy. All you need is water, frozen ground beef and your Instant Pot.
Trust me, you won’t find many recipes that simple, right?
As an added bonus – no an added necessity – the meat cooks up juicy and tender, not tough and dry.
We raise our own beef here on the farm and it is absolutely out of this world. So I have absolutely no interest in ruining perfectly fabulous meat, you know??
And we have a freezer full of frozen meat so it goes without saying I use this cooking method all the time!
Here’s how we’re gonna cook our frozen ground meat.
How to cook frozen ground beef in an Instant pot without a trivet
Place one pound of frozen ground beef in your Instant Pot. Add about a cup of water.
Close and set it to pressure cook time for eight minutes. Do a quick pressure release to let the steam out of the pot.
At this point, your beef is about halfway cooked through. Drain the fat & water and return to the pot.
Okay, not so appetizing at this point but bear with me, it’s working!
Set the Instant Pot to saute and continue to cook the ground beef. Break it up with a spoon or spatula until the beef is fully cooked through. Drain if necessary and use the ground beef for your recipe!
Unlike the microwave defrost function, thawing and cooking frozen ground beef in the Instant Pot keeps the flavor of the meat AND you only have one dish to clean up.
That, my friends, is a win in my book!
And of course, it goes without saying, the pressure cooker is pretty awesome for cooking fresh ground meat, too.
Tips for cooking frozen ground meat in your Instant Pot:
- You can also use this Instant Pot method to cook frozen ground turkey, venison or pork.
- If you have two pounds ground beef to cook, increase the cooking time by about five minutes. Some of this is just experimenting with your Instant Pot.
- Use the meat in any ground beef recipes like One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese, Instant Pot Chili Mac, Pressure Cooker Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, Cheeseburger Sliders or Sloppy Joes
- If you want to make this but you still haven’t taken your Instant Pot out of the box (yes, I’m talking to you friend), you may want to give my post about Instant Pot fear first and I’ll walk you through getting started in Instant Pot Basics.
Can I cook frozen ground beef in the slow cooker?
Actually, no. I mean, you could because it’s a free world and you can do you.
But I wouldn’t because you’re compromising food safety and trust me, you don’t want to do that.
So stick to the method outlined. I even have a handy dandy recipe card for you!
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Classic Chili Recipe for a Crowd
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Chile Verde Pork Burritos
- Instant Pot Egg Bites
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup water
- Place one pound of frozen ground beef in your Instant Pot. Add about a cup of water.
- Close and set it to pressure cooking for eight minutes. Do a quick release to let the steam out of the pot.
- At this point, your beef is about halfway cooked through. Drain the fat & water and return to the pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and continue to cook the ground beef. Break it up with a spoon or spatula until the beef is fully cooked through. Drain if necessary and use the ground beef for your recipe!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 53mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 15g