I love this Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla Recipe because it’s super easy to make a batch for an easy supper or lunch. A few simple ingredients including leftover rotisserie chicken make a dinner recipe the whole family will love!
Quesadillas, you cheesy little thing! I love your crispy, browned edges and your warm, melty cheese.
You melt my cheese and my heart.
And our entire family feels the say way about these meaty, cheesy handheld eats!
Y’all know my love for Mexican food. I’m super excited to share this recipe with you today!
I may earn money as an affiliate from certain product links within posts. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe you will find helpful.
Quesadillas filled with chicken, cheese and creamy sour cream all baked at the same time. It’s genius!
That’s right, this is Na-cho average quesadilla recipe here!
- Cooked or rotisserie chicken meat – You can see how how to make chicken for quesadillas in this homemade version of rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup sour cream – this helps make an extra special sauce for our quesadillas
- taco seasoning – you can use homemade taco seasoning or store bought
- large flour tortillas – you can use whole wheat tortillas or your favorite gluten free variety of tortillas. Corn tortillas give a different texture but you can use them in a pinch.
- unsalted butter – for browning the outside and making them toasty
- Mexican blended cheese
- Optional: pico de gallo or restaurant style salsa, for serving and green onions for garnish
Why I Love this Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas Recipe
Easy: Let’s be honest. Easy wins every. single. time. This recipe uses precooked chicken which is key when we need a quick and easy dinner recipe without trying too hard.
If for some reason you’re feeling extra motivated, you can make a whole chicken in the Instant Pot and use it for recipes like this throughout the week.
Healthier than takeout: Making the taco seasoning allows us to control both the spice level and the sodium content, plus cooking from home in general is less caloric than dining out.
It’s a handheld eat: farm friends, you feel me on this one, don’t you! Any time you can pick up your food and eat it on the go is a win in my book!
Chicken and cheese quesadillas totally qualify.
Here are some ideas on how to mix things up and make your entire family happy.
- Use whole wheat tortillas or gluten free tortillas
- Use cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, Pepper Jack cheese for spice, or whatever you have in your fridge.
- Sub in Greek yogurt for the sour cream
What to serve with my cheesy quesadilla recipe
- Red pepper strips or tortilla chips and guacamole
- Vegetarian Refried Beans
- Pico de gallo or restaurant style salsa
Everything you need to know about how to make chicken and cheese quesadillas is in the recipe card below!
Did you make this delicious and simple Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla recipe? Leave a comment and review it below!
More Quesadilla Recipes
Other Mexican inspired recipes
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
- Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Sheet Pan Nachos
- Batch taco meat
- Simple Pico de Gallo
P.S. You can get my field meals cookbook below!!
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken meat, shredded or leftover shredded chicken
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning (link recipe or can use store bought)
- salt and black pepper
- 6 large flour tortillas
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into 6 equal-sized chunks
- 1½ cups Mexican blended cheese
- Optional: pico de gallo or restaurant style salsa, for serving
- To Serve:
- 2 large limes, cut into wedges
- Diced avocado or guacamole
- Place your top oven rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat baking mat.
- Add the cooked, shredded rotisserie chicken to a large bowl and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the sour cream and taco seasoning stir to combine.
- Add one-half cup of the seasoned sour cream to the shredded chicken and season with additional salt and black pepper. Gently stir to combine. Note: Reserve the remaining seasoned sour cream for serving.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a chunk of butter and spread over the bottom of the skillet with a spatula as it melts. Add a tortilla to the hot skillet and toast on one side for about 1 minute, or just until golden brown. Note: We are only toasting one side of the quesadilla.
- Transfer the toasted tortilla to the prepared baking sheet, toasted side down. Carefully wipe out the skillet with a clean, damp cloth, then add another chunk of butter. Once the bottom of the skillet is coated, add a second tortilla.
- While the second tortilla is toasting, add one-sixth of the chicken mixture and one-quarter cup of the shredded cheese to one half of the non-toasted side of the first tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla over and press down with a spatula to set. Repeat until all tortillas are toasted and transfer them to your baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes, or just until the cheese is melted and the quesadilla is heated through.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before cutting each quesadilla into wedges. Serve with lime wedges, diced avocado (or guacamole), pico de gallo, and the remaining seasoned sour cream on the side.
Slice into wedges using a knife or pizza cutter.
*Nutrition details are for 6 quesadillas, halved into 12 portions.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 573mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g