This Amish Pasta Salad recipe is a perfect side dish for picnics, summer get togethers or anytime you're craving a sweet and creamy pasta salad.
What is Amish Macaroni Salad?
You've probably seen this classic Amish macaroni salad at your local grocery store, or even on sale in the deli section at a big store like Wal-Mart.
This creamy macaroni salad is one of the best pasta salad recipes I've had. It's everything a pasta salad should be...creamy, crunchy, sweet and hearty.
There's vegetables in there so we feel some salad justification, along with hard boiled eggs for added protein.
It's a stick to your ribs kind of side that is super versatile.
Amish Pasta Salad Ingredients
- Pasta - you can use any kind of pasta you prefer. Traditionally, I think this pasta salad is made with macaroni, but I used bow tie pasta because I'm a rebel that way.
- Celery - for the perfect crunch
- Onion - you can use red onion, yellow onion or white onion. If you want to save time, you can use minced dried onion - no chopping required.
- Hard boiled eggs - the while the recipe calls for 4 eggs, I often add 6.
- Red bell pepper - green bell pepper works, too
- Mayonnaise - ahhh, the great mayo debate. I'm a traditional team Hellmans or Duke's mayo fan. If you really like Miracle Whip, which is not actually mayonnaise but a salad dressing, you can use that. Besides, you're the one eating the pasta salad anyway!
- Sweet pickle relish - because this is a sweet pasta salad I'd stick with the sweet relish versus a dill pickle relish
- Celery seed
- Dijon mustard
- Apple cider vinegar
- Worcestershire sauce
How to make Amish Macaroni Salad
First, let's address the elephant in the room.
I'm using bow tie pasta. I can't help myself, I really like the bigger pieces of pasta in this recipe. It gives the sweet pickle relish and creamy salad dressing something to cling to.
Now that we have that outta the way, let's get making our pasta salad.
Tips and variations
You can add extra chopped boiled eggs if you want. This will add protein overall and the yolks add creaminess to the dish.
Add drained canned tuna or cooked, shredded chicken to make this salad into a meal.
FAQS about Amish Pasta Salad
Can I make macaroni salad the day before?
The pasta will soak up the dressing as it sits. I'd recommend you prepare the salad and then dress it a few hours before serving.
What goes well with pasta salad?
Ooooh, everything! Pretty much any pull apart slider recipe is a match made in heaven along with anything on the grill. We like to serve it with Old Fashioned Baked Beans to round things out.
How to store leftover pasta salad
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container, for up to four days. This pasta salad does not freeze well.
Other recipes for gatherings
Quick and Healthy Pasta Salads
More easy salad recipes
If you try this sweet Amish Pasta Salad, leave a recipe review or comment below. I'd love to hear from you!
Amish Pasta Salad Recipe
- 16 ounce package pasta, any shape
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 4 large hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
Salad Dressing Ingredients
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 4 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- ½ teaspoon finely minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 2 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, then drain and run under cold water for a minute to cool
- Place the pasta, celery, eggs, onion and pepper in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and stir until sugar has dissolved and sauce is creamy. Pour over the pasta.
- Gently the pasta to combine with the sauce.
Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 492Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 501mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 7g
Leave a Reply