This Twice Baked Mashed Potato Recipe is an easy dish you can make ahead of time! This potato casserole is amazing comfort food for weeknight or holiday meals alike!
You know what twice baked potatoes are, and you know what a loaded baked potato is.
So…what happens when you marry twice baked potatoes with loaded baked potatoes?
Basically, you’re making the super hero of all potato recipes. Think Spiderman, but way less creepy and a whole lot more delicious.
This is a super duper, loaded twice baked potato casserole that is sure to bring smiles to any dinner table. We’re talking AMAZING comfort food that’ll take your dinner game play to the next level!
I love serving this at dinner parties (which sounds much fancier than they really are) or bringing this casserole as my contribution to the holiday table.
Add crispy bacon, green onions, and cheddar cheese. Basically, all the different things you want as loaded baked potato toppings are a welcome addition in this casserole recipe!
Why you’ll love this recipe
One of my favorite things that make this the perfect dish is that you can completely make this casserole ahead of time.
Refrigerate up to 3 days before serving, then bake as usual. Heads up – you’ll need to add a bit to the cooking time if it’s been chilled.
And then – go time!
It’s the perfect side for holiday gatherings, family dinners, church potlucks and game day food! Serve this casserole and you’ll feel the love in every bite! The leftovers even taste amazing.
It’s a win all around
How to Make this Twice Baked Mashed Potato recipe
To bake potatoes in the oven, heat your oven to 425 degrees F. Prick potatoes several times with a fork to allow steam to escape.
Place potatoes on the top rack of the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender and can easily be pierced with a sharp knife.
Cool potatoes slightly until they’ve cooled enough to handle. Cut cooked potatoes into quarters and add to a large mixing bowl.
How to Make Twice Baked Mashed Potato Casserole
Using a potato masher, mash potatoes and add the onion powder, salt, sour cream, cream cheese. Resist the urge to over mix them or the potatoes will become gummy. A chunk or two (or three) is perfectly okay.
Reserve a bit of bacon and green onions for sprinkling over the top of the potatoes. This lets everyone know what to expect when they take their first delicious bite.
Transfer the creamy mashed potato mixture to a casserole dish. They’re headed into the oven for their second time because, you know…the whole twice baked deal.
Cover with foil and bake until heated through. Remove the foil to slightly brown the top and edges towards the end of the baking time.
Twice baked mashed potatoes recipe variations
Use fresh chives instead of green onions
Cook bacon ahead of time in the oven!
Add some cooked roasted garlic for an extra layer of flavor.
What to serve with twice baked mashed potatoes
If it’s Christmas dinner or Thanksgiving, it’s gotta be served with a side of cranberry sauce. These are amazing with turkey, herb crusted pork loin or Instant Pot roast chicken. And while you’re at it, you’ll want to make my Cheesy Corn Casserole, too!
Other Potato Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Potato Salad recipe
- Creamy Mayo Free Potato Salad
- Maple BBQ Sweet Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes from Scratch
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 5 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cups bacon bits
- 4 green onions, green parts only, snip with scissors
TO COOK THE POTATOES
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Prick potatoes several times with a fork to allow steam to escape. Place the potatoes in the oven and bake, 50-60 minutes until the potatoes are done and can easily be pierced with a sharp knife.
TO ASSEMBLE THE CASSEROLE
- Cool potatoes slightly until they're warm enough to handle. Cut potatoes into quarters and add to a large bowl.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes and add the onion powder, salt, sour cream, cream cheese. Try not to over mix or the potatoes will become gummy. Once incorporated, add the shredded cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions. Reserve a bit of bacon and green onions for garnish.
TO COOK THE LOADED TWICE BAKED POTATO CASSEROLE
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees. Cover with casserole with foil.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until it is heated through.
If cooking the casserole from the refrigerator, pull it and allow to come to room temperature for 45-60 minutes. Add additional cooking time.
Garnish top with green onion and bacon.
Store leftovers covered wrapped in foil or in an airtight container
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Unsaturated Fat: 0g
This post was originally published August 2019 and updated with new photos November 2021.