My Instant Pot Broccoli and Cheese Soup cooks under pressure for only one minute. One minute is all it takes for a creamy and healthy soup that’s full of warmth and flavor.
My Instant Pot has been places, I tell you. It’s travelled to different counties, to downtown Chicago and of course, to the cornfield where it sits on the tailgate of a pickup.
Having an Instant Pot as a tool in my kitchen has saved my meal time more times than I can count. From cooking frozen ground beef in the Instant Pot, to quick cooking meals like this Broccoli and Cheddar and Soup it’s a way to get flavor into food fast and minimize cleanup, too!
How to make broccoli cheese soup in an Instant Pot
This Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup is:
- made with wholesome, real ingredients
- ready in under 15 minutes
- filled with taste like the bowl of soup at your favorite restaurant chain
Can I make Broccoli Cheese Soup without an Instant Pot?
You betcha! For those of us who have Instant Pots, you know we are quick to tell others about our love for this kitchen gadget!
Not only does it make soups and stew taste like they’ve cooked alllll day long, they make simple soups even faster, all in one pot.
But, not everyone has an Instant Pot, and that’s totally a-okay. You can make this soup by cooking it on the stovetop instead. Saute the veggies, and follow the directions in the recipe card – except for the one minute pressure cooker time, everything else is the same.
Ingredients In Broccoli Cheese Soup
- extra virgin olive oil: to saute the vegetable base
- onion: white or yellow both work here. Red onion can be used in a pinch and if you’re feeling really fancy, you could use diced shallot.
- red pepper: adds color, texture and flavor
- garlic powder: for a boost of flavor
- salt and black pepper: per usual
- yellow potato: adds rich color and helps to thicken the soup. I love using yellow potato because the skins are thin and yellow potatoes don’t need to be peeled.
- chicken broth: store bought or your can use homemade Instant Pot bone broth.
- frozen broccoli florets: no washing, no chopping! Just open up the frozen broccoli and dump it in!
- two types of cheese: Monterey Jack and sharp cheddar are going in, too!
- heavy cream: for a rich, creamy soup.
What to serve with Broccoli Cheese Soup
I love serving soup with a side of crusty bread, while my kids seem to enjoy good old Saltine crackers!
Other Instant Pot Soups you’ll enjoy:
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- ½ large red pepper, diced small, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large yellow potato, chopped small
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz. bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Add olive oil to your Instant Pot and select the “Sauté’ function.
- Once hot, add the diced onion, red pepper, and garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the potatoes and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for another 2-3 minutes or until the potatoes start to develop some color.
- Add the chicken broth and gently scrape the bottom of the pot with a rubber spatula or flat bottomed wooden spoon to release the brown bits. Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button to turn off the Sauté function.
- Add the frozen broccoli and cover. Lock the lid into place and make sure the vent is set to Seal. Set the pressure cook time to 2 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining steam before carefully removing the lid.
- Add the cheese, one cup at a time, stirring with each addition until completely melted.
- Pour the heavy cream into a separate small bowl. Add several tablespoons of the hot soup and stir to combine. (This process is called tempering and will keep the cold cream from curdling when it hits the hot soup.) Add the heavy cream mixture into the broccoli soup.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with additional shredded cheese
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 368Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 15gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 74mgSodium 649mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 3gSugar 2gProtein 17g