If your family loves meatballs but you don’t want to heat up your kitchen, my grilled meatballs recipe is the answer! Read on for all the delicious details!
Are you looking for family friendly recipes everyone will eat? I don’t know about you but I get really tired of playing short order cook for our picky eater.
I know, I know, I should make her eat whatever everyone else is eating. The struggle is real, friends!
Luckily when I make grilled meatballs, it’s a meal the whole family will enjoy.
Note: I may use referral or affiliate links for the products I love.
Meatballs on the grill
Now, you may be thinking that farm girl has gone and lost her mind, but bear with me.
I love finding ways to take a regular recipe and adapt it for a specific meal. Maybe that’s why I love planning harvest and field meals so much!
When we’re in the thick of the summer heat, I use as many slow cooker recipes, Instant Pot recipes or grilling as I can manage.
Recipes like grilled meatballs keep the kitchen cool and our bellies happy! And as an added bonus, I get to be outdoors with the rest of the family while I’m making these.
It’s a win-win!
How to make grilled meatballs
The ingredients here are simple and you likely have everything in your kitchen.
- ground beef
- an egg
- seasonings – garlic powder, basil, salt and pepper
Add everything to a large bowl and then mix, much like you would for meatloaf. Be careful not to overmix.
Shape mixture into 12 meatballs, rolling between hands your hands to shape into large meatballs. Then, because we need them to hold their shape, refrigerate for 20-30 minutes before threading onto grilling skewers.
Heat your grill over medium high heat.
Thread three meatballs on each skewer and place on the grill. Turn the meatballs about 1/4 turn every 5 minute, until temperature reaches 160 degrees for beef.
I get that meatballs are round so don’t worry about precision work here. We’re just trying to cook them evenly.
By the way, has anyone tried making square meatballs???
I have and it actually works really well!! 😉
When the meatballs are cooked through you can serve on the skewers, or serve over pasta of choice. In this case, I served these over zucchini noodles along with some marinara and fresh mozzarella.
See that meatball on the left? I know it looks like I took a bite right out of it, but it’s where it was threaded on the skewer. Promise!
But I bet you wouldn’t blame me to diving right in to take a bite, would you??
Other grilled recipes you’ll love
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Use hands to gently mix ingredients without overworking.
- Shape mixture into 12 meatballs, rolling between hands to shape. Place on a cooking tray and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat a grill over medium high heat.
- Thread three meatballs on each skewer and place on the grill. Turn 1/4 turn every 5 minute, until temperature reaches 160 degrees for beef.
- Serve with marinara sauce or sauce of choice.
- For ground beef and pork, cook until an internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- For ground turkey cook until an internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Shared on Meal Plan Monday