Get ready for a delicious and easy recipe to make egg salad with pickles. It's tangy, a little sweet and has a bright flavor with the addition of fresh dill. This simple recipe is one of our family's go-to answers when we don't want to overthink about lunch or dinner.
This egg salad is a great recipe to make when you just don't feel like cooking. We make this for cold lunches or an easy meal on the weekend and it's a good alternative to Instant Pot deviled eggs or Tuna Salad with Eggs.
And we also love a good egg salad sandwich when we need Lent dinner ideas!
If you have fresh eggs and you're looking for ways to use them, this is just one of the ways you can put eggs to use!
Oh, and farm friends, a classic egg salad sandwich a perfect lunch for the lunch box!
Be sure to add a cooler pack to keep the egg salad chilled.
You may want to add a lettuce leaf between the bread and the egg salad to keep the sandwich from getting soggy.
It's going on my field meals list for sure!
Ingredients in Egg Salad
- eggs - obvious, but worth mentioning!
- mayonnaise - we're on team mayo here but if Miracle Whip is where your heart is at, I get it. Feel free to substitute as you like.
- sweet onion, like Vidalia onion, finely diced - you could also use red onion or even green onion if you have it on hand
- yellow mustard
- sweet pickle relish
- dried dill
- salt and ground black pepper
- sliced bread, like French or Texas toast
How to make Classic Egg Salad
Make the hard boiled eggs on the stove top or you can make Instant Pot hard boiled eggs.
Heck, you can even buy hard boil eggs at the grocery store!
Tips for chopping eggs
To make eggs on the stovetop
- Boil 6 cups of water over high heat in a large pot.
- Add the eggs and cook them for 11 ½ minutes.
- Just before the eggs are ready to come out of the water, make an ice bath with a large bowl, cold water, and a handful of ice.
- Drain the eggs from the boiling water using a slotted spoon and place eggs into the ice bath so they cool completely.
What to serve with this easy egg salad recipe
Serve egg salad between bread slices, on buttery croissants
Add a dash of hot sauce if you like your egg salad with a little heat!
Use Dijon mustard in place of yellow mustard
How to store egg salad
This egg salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Here are other salad recipes you'll enjoy, too!
If you make this classic egg salad recipe, leave a recipe review or comment below. I'd love to hear from you!
Classic Egg Salad Recipe
- 6 large eggs hardboiled, cooled and peeled
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of Vidalia onion finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon of yellow mustard
- 1 Tablespoon of pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon of dried dill
- ½ teaspoon of paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 12 slices of bread like French or Texas toast
- fresh dill for topping (optional)
- Cook and chill your hard boiled eggs ahead of time on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot.
- In the meantime, mix the celery, mayonnaise, onion, mustard, relish, dill, paprika, salt and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Peel and chop the hard boiled eggs and add to the mayo mixture
- Use a spatula to fold the mayonnaise mixture and the eggs together to gently combine.
- Toast the bread if you like then add 3-4 tablespoons of the mixture to a slice and top it off with some fresh dill if desired before adding another slice of bread on top.
- Assemble the remaining bread and salad into sandwiches then serve.