Baby, it's getting cold outside! If you like meaty, hearty chili that has just enough heat to make the back of your throat tickle, then this recipe is for you. The spices are a blend of garlic, cumin, salt & pepper, chili powder and just a touch of red pepper flakes, to keep you on your toes.
I've made chili more times than I can count but I don't particularly follow a recipe - sometimes it depends what's in my pantry or fridge. Recently our kids told me they would like an actual recipe so they can make my chili someday. They're either plotting my demise or hoping for an allowance raise, I'm not sure which...
Anyway, because I'm such a nice mom, this week when I was cooking a huge pot of chili, I documented my recipe. I'm sharing my secret recipe with the world here, because as my husband constantly reminds our toddlers, "sharing is caring".
Can you guess what's for lunch in the field today??
Oh, and my favorite three words apply to this recipe - "It freezes beautifully!"
If you like this, please share!
Made with love,
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ green pepper, chopped, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 14 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot, cook ground beef and onion on medium heat until beef is completely cooked. Drain fat and return to pot.
- Add minced garlic and green pepper, cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occassionally, until garlic is fragrant and green pepper begins to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Cook for 2-3 hours on low heat
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
adding to my weekend or weekday menu!!! This would be perfect for Halloween night for when the kids go trick or treating!!!! Thanks for sharing
This Farm Girl Cooks
Sharon, that's so perfect! I make chili every year for Halloween!! Great minds think alike 🙂