Ahhh, the best grilled cheese…
Now, you may be asking yourself why I’d post a recipe for something so simple.
Simple, but oh so delicious. And there’s more…
To be honest, I think I’ve always made a pretty darn good sandwich.
But when it comes to my husband’s family, they’ve taken their approach to grilled cheese very seriously. My husband talks about making 35-mile family road trips to get the “best” grilled cheese from a country diner. Clearly this family has high expectations.
So you know I had to up my sandwich game when I married into a family with a history like this.
No pressure or anything…
From little kids to grown ups like, me, a grilled cheese sandwich is one of those classic recipes everyone can enjoy. A few humble ingredients are transformed into a creamy-crispy-gooey sandwich loved by all!
Here’s how I make it.
First, I switched from buttering my bread to using mayo. It sounds weird, I know, but it works.
If you’ve ever butchered an innocent slice of white bread as you tried to spread cold butter, then you get it. Mayo spreads like a dream. No waiting for it to soften and no gaps in coverage. This will get you even toasting.
And fear not, dairy lovers. My best grilled cheese includes not one, but two types of melty cheese. There aren’t fancy-smanchy cheeses, either. These are cheeses you can find at any grocery store – sliced cheddar and a colby jack.
Sidenote: If you happen to place the cheese on the bread so it drips ever so slightly into the pan, that’s not a bad thing. You know those crusty bits of cheese you get when happens? I don’t know of an “official” name for those lovely golden brown bits, but I love those!
That, my friends, is a grilled cheese worth going the distance!
Sometimes all you need to do is make some simple changes to a classic. And it couldn’t be easier to make!
The next time you’re stressing out about “what’s for dinner”, keep the good ole grilled cheese sandwich in mind. Delicious doesn’t need to mean fancy!
If you’re a grilled cheese lover, share this with your friends and family – they’ll thank you!!
Oh, and don’t forget to serve some soup alongside – what’s your favorite match?
Made with love,
The Best Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices bread whatever is your favorite)
- 1-2 T. mayo
- 1 slice sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 slice colby jack cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Allow it to completely heat before adding any ingredients.
- Spread mayo on one side of both pieces of bread.
- Place one slice of bread, mayo side down, into the heated pan. Top with both slices of cheese. If you put them on an angle they will slightly overlap and give you the most cheesy coverage. (Don't forget those drippy bits!)
- Top with the other slice of bread, mayo side up.
- Cook until the first side is a light golden brown. Flip sandwich to cook the other side to a light golden brown.
- Remove from pan and wait a minute or two to slice. Enjoy!