If you love lasagna, you're going to love this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup. It's the perfect comfort food for a cold winter day. Plus, it's so easy to make! You just need a few simple ingredients and your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup recipe
Do you love a classic lasagna but hate the time it takes to make?
Raising hand and waving madly like I'm flagging down the taco truck...
Our whole family loves eating lasagna but as the chief meal maker, I gotta say, it's so. much. work. Definitely not weeknight meal material.
This Instant Pot version is just as cozy as the original but easier, making it perfect or a weeknight meal. You can have this hearty soup on your table in under 30 minutes – no need to wait hours for dinner.
It’s made with ground beef and lasagna noodles, just like a traditional lasagna. Except - in soup form. Genius!
Why you'll love making lasagna soup in the instant pot
The meat is browned in the Instant Pot and from there, everything is added to the same pot. This isn't your typical slow cooker recipe; this instant pot lasagna soup will be ready in just minutes!
Plus, Instant Pots is great at retaining the flavors of lasagna without adding a ton of extra fat like butter or oil. That means you can enjoy all of the flavor without any guilt!
Lasagna soup is actually ready faster than most frozen lasagna - and it tastes way better, too!
Oh, and if you're looking for a delicious soup with minimal clean up time (just one pot!), you'll want to give lasagna soup recipe a try!
What's an Instant Pot, anyway?
An Instant Pot is a multi-purpose kitchen appliance that can be used as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, and more. It's a great way to make quick, easy meals without having to dirty multiple pots and pans.
As an added bonus, it doesn't take as much kitchen storage space as having all those kitchen gadgets, too!
Instant Pot is a brand name for what really is an electric pressure cooker.
You know, kind of like how some people call all Kleenex the brand name Kleenex, when we're referring to any facial tissue like Puffs or another brand.
Why facial tissue comes to mind, I don't know. But that's the best I've got.
Ingredients in Lasagna Soup
The ingredients in lasagna soup are simple, yet flavorsome. The soup recipe includes ground beef or Italian sausage, tomatoes, lasagna noodles and three kinds of cheeses.
Of course, a full list of ingredients is in the recipe card below.
You can customize the soup to your liking by adding in vegetables like mushrooms or spinach. The possibilities are endless!
How to make lasagna soup
If you're not familiar with Instant Pot cooking, no worries! I've got your back.
Step 1. Press the saute function on your pressure cooker and add the oil. After a few minutes, the "Hot" message will display. Add the onion and ground beef, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain the fat from the ground beef if necessary. Add the garlic and saute for 30-60 seconds. Don't overcook the garlic, it just needs to cook until you can smell it.
Sometimes, bits of food can stick to the bottom of the pot. I like to use a flat wooden spoon to scrape off these pieces.
They can stay in the pot, we just don't want them stuck there or you may get a burn message when you go to pressure cook.
It's not the end of the world, but it can be distressing to sit and watch. I know from experience!
Step 2. Next up, add your beef broth, the tomatoes, seasoning and broken up noodles. If you don't have lasagna noodles on hand, bow tie pasta makes a good substitute!
Close the lid, making sure the silicone seal is in place.
Step 3. Set the time to pressure cook for 8 minutes.
It's important to note that the cooking time won't start immediately. The pot needs to come to pressure before the time actually starts. A good estimate for this additional time is 8-10 minutes.
Once the time is up, you'll do a quick release to remove the pressure from the pot.
Step 4. While soup is cooking, mix the mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta cheese together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the cheese mixture and a little fresh basil if you'd like!
Here are a few tips for making lasagna soup in the instant pot
There are lots of ways to make this your own version of homemade lasagna!
- Use a ground beef, ground turkey, ground sausage or Italian sausage. These meats will add flavor and richness to the soup.
- You can substitute a good quality spaghetti sauce if you don't have the canned tomatoes on hand. The sauce is a key component of the lasagna soup, so it's important to use one you'll love the flavor of.
- Be sure to add plenty of noodles! The tender noodles will soak up all of the delicious broth and create a hearty, filling soup.
- Add some fresh spinach, bell peppers or sliced mushrooms to up your veggie intake
- Like it spicy? Add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. A little goes a long way!
How to store leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight, covered container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Leftover soup can also be frozen for 2-3 months, making this a great solution for those cooking for 1-2.
The noodles will tend to soak up the broth as the soup sits. The taste will be the same, but the soup will be thicker after reheating.
As Rachel Ray would say, it's lasagna stoup!
What to serve with Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
Once you try this recipe, we know you’ll be hooked! I recommend serving with garlic breadsticks or cheesy garlic bread on top. Oh, and a simple side salad with cucumbers, tomatoes and ranch dressing. Yum!
More Instant Pot recipes:
Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
Instant Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Instant Pot Cube Steak with Gravy
If you make this easy Instant Pot Lasagna soup, leave a recipe review or comment below. I'd love to hear from you!
P.S. If you love all things lasagna, make sure to check out these Lasagna Cups, too!
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups beef broth, (use more if you'd like a thinner soup)
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into 1” pieces (6.5 oz) ***
- 1 ¼ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil for garnish
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting and add the oil. Once hot, add the onion and ground beef and cook, breaking up with a spoon until it's cooked through and no longer pink. If there's a fair amount of fat, drain the cooked ground meat. Use a flat bottomed wooden spoon to scrap any bits from the bottom of the pot. (This helps prevent the burn message you sometimes can get)
- Add the broth, tomatoes, seasoning and noodles. Close the lid and seal the pressure valve.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Do a quick pressure release and remove the lid.
- While soup is cooking, mix the mozzarella, parmesan and ricotta cheese together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each bowl of soup the cheese mixture and a little fresh basil if you'd like!
**You'll need to allow 8-10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure before the cooking time begins.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 541Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1246mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 40g
Leave a Reply