Creamy and delicious, Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi soup is rich and velvety. Tender and juicy chicken along with a creamy broth make this the perfect comforting meal on a cold day.
Why I love this recipe
I'll eat a hearty soup recipe every day of the week, if you'd let me! There's something about a warm, steaming bowl of soup that warms from the inside out!
I love making this creamy chicken gnocchi soup, because everything (even the chicken) cooks in one pot!
Friends tell me this creamy soup reminds them of Olive Garden's chicken gnocchi soup. This is hands down one of our family favorites.
Oh, and this Instant Pot version cooks in 30 minutes. So there's that wonderful news, too!
Ingredients in Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Here's what you need to make this easy peasy Instant Pot soup.
- seasonings: dried garlic powder, dried thyme, black pepper
- chicken broth or homemade chicken stock
- boneless skinless chicken breasts - you can substitute skinless chicken thighs if you prefer
- milk - I use whole milk because it's what's we have in the fridge. You could also use heavy cream. We need something with richness, so skim milk or 2% milk doesn't really work here.
- cornstarch - for thickening
- shredded carrots
- potato gnocchi - Gnocchi is basically a potato dumpling. They have a slightly chewy texture and we love gnocchi. I usually find them in the pasta aisle at the grocery store. Even Aldi stores carry them! You can ignore the package directions, I have the cooking instructions in the recipe card below.
- fresh spinach
Serve with crusty bread and you'll have a meal the whole family loves!
How to store leftover soup
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Time saving tips:
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
The next time you're craving soup, I hope you'll try this Olive Garden copycat recipe! Leave a recipe or review below, I'd love to hear from you!
Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound chicken breasts about 2 breasts
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 large carrots coarsely shredded
- 16 ounce package potato gnocchi uncooked
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Parmesan cheese for topping optional
- Turn your Instant Pot onto the sauté setting. Add your butter. Once the butter is fully melted, add onions. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the minced garlic to your onions for about 30 seconds to a minute. You just want enough time to pass to release the flavor, but not to burn them (they are quick to burn).
- Press cancel on your Instant Pot. Add the broth, thyme, salt, broth and chicken breasts to the pot.
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot. Close the valve to the sealing position. Set to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Once time is done, do a quick release by opening the pressure valve to release all the pressure.
- Remove the cooked chicken breasts. Shred and then transfer shredded chicken bake to your pot.
- Turn your Instant Pot on to the sauté function. In a separate small bowl, mix together the milk and corn starch to create a cornstarch slurry, which acts as a thickener for your soup. Slowly stir the soup while slowly adding the cornstarch mixture.
- Add carrots and gnocchi. Allow them to cook for about 5 minutes or until the carrots have cooked and the gnocchi are tender.
- Stir in the fresh spinach which will wilt into the soup after a minute or two. Serve and enjoy.