Chicken Enchilada Casserole has layers of tender chicken, zesty enchilada sauce, melted cheese, and tortillas, all coming together to create a fiesta of flavors. This easy-to-make casserole is a crowd-pleaser and a perfect weeknight dinner option.
Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 teaspoon jarred minced garlic
- 1 8- ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar OR colby jack cheese divided
- Optional - black olives and sour cream for topping
- In a medium sized bowl combine all ingredients except tortillas, chicken broth and cheese. Stir to combine, making sure to mix the spices into the mixture. Spray a round slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread half the chicken mixture in the pot. Top with 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese and 4 flour tortillas. Repeat another layer.
- Pour chicken broth on top, then top with remaining cheese.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.